Monday, February 12, 2007

lost in a book

How odd to go along for months looking for books (fiction) that satisfy and then find a handful all at once! Chick lit doesn't cut it, romance isn't working, mysteries haven't worked for years, historical fiction -- uh, uh. But when I grabbed "The Android's Dream" by John Scalzi off the New Books shelf at the local library, I was caught up in a fun story!

Now I've finished Scalzi's "Old Man's War" and am almost through with its follow-up, "The Ghost Brigade." DH is even willing to lay aside his usual military history tome and give "Old Man's War" a shot -- yeah! First time in several years we've read the same fiction. Now if only I didn't have to wait till May to read "The Last Colony."

And when searching for a Star Wars book for DS, I stumbled across John Varley's "The Golden Globe." So now I've finished his "Mammoth," too, which was so enjoyable I ended up reading it to DS after he asked me a million times "what's happening now, mom?" Just picked up "Red Thunder" and "Red Lightning" by Varley this afternoon and hope they are as entertaining.

Oh, it's so much FUN to have new authors to explore! There's a winter storm headed our way according to the National Weather Service and I have books to read!! I couldn't ask for anything more. Last thing DH said as he went out the door this morning was "are you sure you have books to read?" He knows me well.

No comments: