Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Date Krispies

These no-bake treats may not look like much but they taste great! My sister's been preparing them at Christmas for years and lately I've taken to making a batch when the weather's cold and we want something sweet to eat. DS and I made these when the temperature hit 0F. here this past week. Seemed like we needed a treat...

The recipe is fast but there is a short waiting period till the mixture is cool enough to shape into balls. Wetting my hands with cool water before shaping helps me work the mixture before it's completely cool and keeps the dates from sticking to my fingers.

Rolling the balls in confectioner's sugar is our preferred finishing method but even DS, who doesn't care much for coconut, likes the balls rolled in unsweetened coconut. And, if I'm making them as part of a Christmas basket, I often finely chop pecans or walnuts and roll the balls first in the sugar, then in the nuts. Yum!

Date Krispies

1 stick (4 ounces) butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup dates, chopped
3 cups crisp rice cereal such as Kellogg's Rice Krispies
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar, coconut, chopped nuts - optional

Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Stir sugar, dates and egg together in small bowl and pour into melted butter, blending well. Cook over low to medium heat, stirring often, till mixture comes to a full boil. (Boil that cannot be stirred down.) Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract and cereal. Stir to combine.

Let sit till mixture is cool enough to handle with bare hands. Wetting hands with water will help keep mixture from sticking to fingers. Roll into balls about 1-inch in diameter. Roll balls in powdered sugar, shredded coconut or finely chopped nuts as desired. Makes about 40.

For more recipes and kitchen ideas check out Kitchen Tip Tuesdays at TammysRecipes.com.

2 comments:

cate said...

I found your lovely blog when I did a search for freshly ground whole wheat bread recipe. I live in the Roanoke Valley, probably near you. I too, knit, spin, homeschool, and such. So glad to have found you and have now bookmarked you to find you later. Blessings. Catie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words, Catie! Nice to know there's someone with similar interests so close. I bet we're within 100 miles of each other.

I checked out your blogger profile and saw you're also a soapmaker. I'm almost out of my last batch and will have to make more before long. I love using my own soaps! If only I could make a good shampoo...

Carolyn