Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Wholegrain Blonde Brownies

I made a batch of these yesterday and meant to include the recipe in the weekly menu plan post. These are so easy to make and since they take only a few pantry items, I can always whip up a batch on the spur of the moment. In yesterday's case, DS had been visiting his grandmother and my uncle was going to drop him off on his way home. A plate of blonde brownies can be an excellent way to say "thank you!" (Plus I won a blue ribbon for them at last year's county fair.)

This recipe came from a lovely old cookbook from 1963 titled "Favorite Recipes of Home Economics Teachers: Desserts Edition, including Party Beverages" and is credited to Mrs. Dixie Dunn Ruby, Charles Town Sr. High School, Charles Town, West Virginia. That book has 378 pages of recipes and every one I've tried so far has been a success. It's a keeper.

Blonde Brownies

1/4 cup vegetable oil (original calls for melted butter)
1 cup light brown sugar or sucanat, packed
1 large egg
3/4 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour (originial calls for all-purpose)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, optional but very good!

Combine oil and sugar in mixing bowl and stir until well-blended. Stir in egg and vanilla. Add dry ingredients, stirring to combine. Stir in walnuts.

Spread in a greased 9"-square baking pan. Bake at 350°F. about 25 minutes. Do not overbake! Cut into bars or squares while still warm.

3 comments:

sue said...

OMG, Carolyn, these sound and look scrumptious. I LOVE blonde brownies. Those old books always have the best recipes that have been passed down thru generations--I'll have to try 'em. Yum!

just another mommy said...

Do you find that you have to add extra flour if you use whole wheat? I have just started making my own whole wheat flour and with cookies, I have to add extra flour so I was wondering. I love finding recipes that already call for whole wheat!

Carolyn at Walnut Spinney said...

No, for this recipe I don't add any additional flour when I use the fresh ground whole wheat. I do use soft white wheat instead of the hard white wheat which I use for yeast bread baking.

Maybe it's because these don't have a lot of liquid in them? Do be sure not to overbake tho!