Saturday, March 20, 2010

First seeds up and repotted, more seeds in

Cabbage, broccoli and more all up and growing. Another flat, mostly tomatoes, started and a third (combination vegetables and flowers) going in today. May need more shoplights at this rate.

DH made paper pots. I made paper pots. DH filled paper pots with potting soil and carefully transplanted each seedling. I filled pots and transplanted but not carefully enough. So back to pot making for me.

DH prefers to separate any multiple seedlings and plant them individually in paper pots. It sometimes takes a steady hand to get the seedlings apart without breaking. I am not that patient. Besides, with 72 seedlings to a flat and sometimes almost double that with DH's careful attention to planting any multiples, someone needs to focus on pot-making and lots of them, too.


A Brush with Color said...

Oh, I was just reading about doing the paper pots--what a great idea! I will have to do this as well this year. I'm so in the mood for planting and gardening. I did spring cleaning and "weeded out" junk in the attic, so next weekend, hopefully I can get out in the dirt. These look awesome, Carolyn. Nice photos! All that promise in those tiny buds!

Anonymous said...

How do you make those paper pots?

Carolyn at Walnut Spinney said...

Here's a link to a page on with step-by-step directions (including photos) for making newspaper pots. You can also buy a 2-piece wooden form called a "Pot Maker" which comes with (basically the same) directions.

Some people like to use a small piece of tape to hold the pot together but we've found that firmly pressing the bottom of the pot while still on it's "mold" then setting pots close together in a larger container like a dishpan will let them hold their shape without tape.

They're VERY durable, too. The first year we used them I was sure they'd fall apart before we were ready to transplant to the garden. However after one pan of planted pots sat underwater for several hours following a sudden rainstorm, I poured off the standing water and found they still held their shape when dried out.